Friday, March 28, 2014

Malaga




I skipped on the jog this morning as I am heading off to Malaga for the day.  I am sure I will be doing enough walking as it is. Last time I took the bus there was a big line to buy a ticket, so we left the apartment at 7:30 to make sure I would get on the 8:30 bus.  It takes about 15 minutes walk to the bus station from here, all uphill.  Wendy came with me as well.  No line up, so I now have a 45 minute wait. There a bridge nearby and we walk to the end of it.  On our way back, this man with the cows (???) goes by.  We are not sure where he came from or is going.  Back at the bus station (ticket booth and some benches outside).  Wendy jogged back to the beach area next to our place and then home.  She says it is much easier going a gradual downhill than up.


The bus is on time and is direct to Malaga, that is why I chose the 8:30 bus.  Direct means 2 stops to pick up people along the way in Torrox and Velez-Malaga and 1 stop to drop people off in Malaga.  The trip took about 1hr25min.  

It is about 1 km from the bus station to the center of old tow.  First stop is a park call The Gardens of Picasso.  There I saw some parrots.  I could hear them squawking as I was heading towards the park.  I saw them at many places around town where there were trees. Also a cool monument in honour of Picasso. 



On the main street leading into town, flowers vendors were setup in small stands.  I love seeing this type of stuff as you know you are not in Canada anymore.



Next stop is the Central Market of Atarazanas. The entrance to the market is thru Moorish arches that date back to the 14th century.  The rest of the Mercado is wrought iron with a beautiful glass back entrance.  The market is just amazing.  Many little booths selling: fish, vegetables, meats, cheeses and spices.  I could have spent hours in there but many things to see and people watch.  If I return to Malaga, I will be there longer now that I have been the main tourist sites.  On my way out, I bought ½ kilo of strawberries for .50€.  They were good.  On the street about 1 block, someone was begging so I gave him a good handful of strawberries which he was very appreciative.

Wish we had these markets at home

Back entrance

Wide variety of cured ham


Lady who sold me the strawberries

Moorish gates at front entrance of market

Next stop is the Cathedral from the 15/16 century.    Very beautiful with lots of things to see:  the choir loft with all the wood carving, the ceiling with the light coming from stained glass windows, many painting, the alter& the chapels and many other things.





Visitor entrance to cathedral

Next on my list is the Alcazaba, the fortified citadel, which was in ruins until it was restored in the 1930s by the same architect that did the Alhambra.  Many little rooms to go into and explore with some display of pottery from the ancient times.  The Alcazaba is built on the side of a hill so walk up a bit and then explore and then repeat the process a few times. The only exit is at the entrance, so you get to explore on the way out as well.  Some parts of it is still not open to the public as the wall of the old cities are still not safe.  Well worth the 2.20€ I paid to get in.







Next on my list was the Roman Theatre.  It was discovered when the Culture museum was torn down to rebuild it.  It is built in 200BC.  It was used for theatre shows and only the seats and a few other small things remains.  Very impressive and the price was right.  Free.  You can also see it without going in since it is next to a walking street.  Speaking of walking streets, the film festival is in town this week and the red carpet is rolled out where there are activities. 



Next is the Gibralfaro Castle which sits on top of the hill about 400 metres above the Alcazaba.  The entrance to it is at the back of it because there is a driving street that leads to it.  So from the bottom of old town to the entrance, it is about 1 km walk and straight uphill with no flat sections.  Not for the faint of heart or people with bad knee.  There is a bus you can take.  There used to be a walled in connection between the castle and the Alcazaba but that has not been restored.  I can’t imagine what that would be like to have to walk that.  The path nowadays has some twist and turn which I can imagine the old path having and it would all have been cobblestone.   Some nice views while walking up and a platform about mid-way with a beautiful view of the harbour and city.   Walked the ramparts of the castle which has 360 degrees  views of the city and the harbour & sea.  The walk down was must less difficult.

Spanish lovers.  Just too cute not to take the picture, especially with the guitars

A bit of a busy traffic circle

Bull ring

I made it to the top, one of the ramparts

View of the cathedral from the top of the hill

Display in small museum at the top of the hill

View of Malaga
Midway down I turned towards a garden I could see going up.  It was a rose garden lined with orange trees.  It must be beautiful in about 1 month from now.  Only 2 or 3 roses were out but the orange trees were in bloom which gave the park a nice smell.  Next to the Garden is the city hall.  It is a very nice building and worth having a look.  In front of it, a nice walking street/park.  Lots of parrots flying around here and in the rose garden as well.

even going down is a challenge

Rose Garden and city hall in background



Lunch time as it is approaching 2PM now and my bowl of cornflakes was probably gone before I started climbing the hill.  Found a nice little place with menu of the day.  Knew about 2/3 of what was on it and it was 8.5€.  Paella as an appetizer, fish in a cream sauce & fries and a caramel flan for dessert, plus a small beer.  Just what the doctor called for. I almost had another beer but figured if I had a second one, a third might follow as well and that would be it for the day. 

As good as it looks
Where I had lunch, picture taken later in the day

Instead of that, I went exploring the back streets of old town.  Lots of bars and restaurants.  Even found 2 fridge magnets of Barcelona & Madrid for my sister which she had visited years ago and never got them then.  Was also able to find an ice cream parlour and had a delicious pistachio cone.  Yummmmy.
 food
Must be a good place, it was also packed full inside.  If I go back, I will go there for food

Found the Plaza de la Merced and the house where Picasso was born.  The fee was 3€ to visit that and another small art exhibit of various artist.  The house had 5 or 6 room with a few family things.  Interesting stop.  I had previously checked out the Picasso and the Carmen Thyseen museum, but they were both about 15€ each to get in.  I was getting pretty tired at this point and to do them justice, you probably need to spend a couple of hours to explore them.  Maybe I will come back and do that another day.   

Whee Picasso was born

It was now about 4PM and my legs were telling me I was not 25 anymore and it was time to call it a day.  I found the Market again but they were closing down.  Only 4 or 5 stalls were just finishing closing up.  Stopped in the train station which is next to the bus station by mistake.  Lots of stores and I imagine places to each in there as well.  Almost like a shopping center. There is also a shopping center across the street, so if someone had a couple of hour to wait for a train or a bus, there would be something to do nearby.  The park is only about a short 10 minutes walk as well.

Got on the 5PM bus with only 1 stop on the way back and was in town by 6:15.  Quick walk downhill to the apartment where I recounted my day’s adventure to Wendy.  She recounted hers, Work, quick lunch and more work until 5PM.  She had a really busy day. She did a short walk to the Balcon after work and was home shortly before I got home.

Gives a new meeting to Street Entertainment

Coolest gas station I have even seen.  Did a hole in a hill and put a gas station

This must be where the aliens have their home base

We decided to save the leftovers for tomorrow and went into town to try the restaurant next to Little Italy. All the inside and outside tables for that restaurant was full and we decided to go back to Little Italy again. Wendy had garlic mushrooms and I had tortellini in a broth as appetizers. We shared a vegetarian pizza and had 2 glasses of red wine each for a grand total of 12.8€.  It is going to be hard to go somewhere else after our last 2 visits here.  The potions are big, food is great and the staffs are very friendly. 


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic photos of one of my favourite cities, you really do justice to your visit. By the way the "beasts" in the first photo are Oxen not cows and are probably off to plough a field somewhere.
    On May 15th is Romero De San Isidro and there are many floats pulled by oxen in a procession from Nerja centre to the caves.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.