Thursday, March 20, 2014

Caves in Nerja



This morning we decided to speed walk.   I got up a little later than normal, Andre thought he was letting me sleep in a bit, I was reading.  I am afraid to figure out how much I actually slept last night, I started a new book and couldn’t put it down.  The book is called “Wild” the story of a woman that hikes the Pacific Crest Trail solo, with basically no hiking experience.  I’m enjoying it, and I have permanently taken the PCT hike off my bucket list.

Overcast/hazy day

While Wendy was reading, I was watching the sunrise

So my knees are killing me still from last week-end, the hills and stairs are deadly, so a walk was in order this morning.  We went for about 40 minutes this morning, love the morning walks through town, a kid flew by us on a scooter thing singing away on his way to school we figure, reminded me of Liam a little, totally oblivious to us.  Always the same group of older men out on the balcon visiting and watching the water.  Women are sweeping outside on the street, just normal every day life before the tourists arrive and it seems like every second place is a shop of some sort.

Keeping the trees tidy

First time we noticed this balcony

I think casa LeBlanc is out of our price range, even if it has our name on it.



They clip the cat's ear once they get fixed.  Cats around the Balcon have all been done


Andre went for groceries again this morning while I worked.  He walks about 15 minutes uphill to get there, but he took the long way today and said it took 35 minutes.  Overcast and not so warm today so I know he was not looking at the sites on the beach.  

Andre got home in time to make us lunch, then we went for another 40 minute walk.  On the way back Andre decided to stop at the bar in the building and see what they had for tapas, he decided a couple of beer were in order and tapas and I came back up to work for the afternoon.  My free tapas were Crab croquette and small pieces of fried fish.  Both were very good.

Andre back from his bar/tapas break and he needed a nap, he is living the life!

I ducked out of work about 30 minutes early to go visit the Nerja caves that are about a 10 minute drive from here.  Absolutely amazing.  We were at similar caves last year in Spain, but I think these were even more spectacular.  I don’t think Andre’s pictures will ever be able to do them justice, he will need to put a link up to the web site as well.  The caves were discovered in 1959 by 5 boys, what a find it must have been!  There are 5 km of caves, and about 1/3 of them you can visit.  The whole process of the caves is said to have started about 225 million years ago, beautiful, they have symphony performances here at times, that would be fantastic to hear!











In honour of the 5 boys who discovered the caves

For Liam

On the way back home, we stopped to look at the aqueduct that was built in the 1800s to carry water for the sugar industry which was huge for Spain at that time.  It is still in use today to carry water for the town.

Aqueduct

tree in bloom where we parked the car for the night
Back to the apartment and I catch up on a little more work that came in while we were out.  Spaghetti for supper tonight, it is smelling good!

1 comment:

  1. Caves are indeed quite fascinating & I take a picture of the aqueduct on every visit :)

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.