Friday, March 28, 2014

Internet Blues




OK, after yesterday I will give Andre a break and type the blog for today, it should be an easy one anyway.

Andre didn’t mention that last night after supper we stopped for a drink and the woman sitting behind us told us she was reading our blog.  That is a first, we knew some friends and family at home were following along, but funny to have someone you don’t know recognize you.  I asked her if she knew us because of Andres postage stamp scar on his head.  If you’re still following along, Andre beat me AGAIN at crib last night, this is getting to be a repetitive sad story.  What really makes me mad is he misses counting points all the time and I correct him, I should get half those points I think, new rule.

Another thing we got done yesterday is booked our flights to Mexico for next year.  We have been watching WestJet for when they would add our dates to their schedule for next February.  Our flight home was missing, but I knew something was wrong when we could book the next week.  After 45 minutes on the phone discover it is a bug in their system that the programmers need to update, she can’t even book the flight even though it is scheduled.  So now I am going crazy checking every hour to see if it is fixed, finally late last night the flights are there, I book and send out an email to everyone to have a look and decide if they think the price is right.  As far as I know so far 10 of the 20 of us are booked.  Now not sure what I will spend my time researching, where to next…..

Today’s jog walk took us up through town again to the killer hill down to the beach.  I only walk the hill up and down, can’t do the jog that steep.  There are two gentleman we see every time we run this way in the morning, I am pretty sure they are a father son combination, both are quite elderly, and they are dressed in ties and jackets at 8:00 AM out for their morning stroll.  They always have their arms linked together like the younger is there for support.  I LOVE seeing them in the morning and we always exchange a good morning and wave with them as we go by (our pace is so slow we could carry on a conversation with our limited Spanish!)  Andre has also extended this jog route, we used to stop at the top of killer hill, now not only do we go down but we jog to the end of the beach and back.  I guess I am getting in a bit better shape, today wasn’t too bad.  What is really disappointing is you can tell Andre has lost weight, his face is thinner, me I am sure I haven’t lost anything.  My clothes actually feel tighter, maybe it’s all the bread I am eating.  I hardly eat bread at home, but it is so delicious here, fresh bread nearly every day, and always served with Tapas.

Finally Friday, it has been a busy week at work for me.  Today did not start out so well, lots of problems connecting to work, urgh.  Hate computer problems, hate computers, still have no idea what I am doing selling software.  Love computers when everything works fine, but so frustrating when it doesn’t.  Plus at 5AM at home not much support for me to get in touch with.  Wait until next week, we change time in Spain this week-end, so we’ll be back to a 5 hour time difference, so 4AM at home when I start work here. 

So I’ve discovered the problem is not at home, it is here.  Some kind of problem with the company that we are using for the Wi-Fi signal I guess.  Andre was at the office when the door opened this morning for me, and then I walked down later with the device for them to check about speed.  Definitely a problem, she has given me a SIM card to use for the rest of today and tomorrow, sure hope this is sorted by Monday!

Something is going on with the blind in our room as well.  It works on some kind of spring coil thing (very technical) so we had to find the property manager/care taker.  There a guy out planting flowers this morning, Andre goes down to speak to him but wrong guy, the guy we want will be back in 1 hour.  So Antonio comes by the apartment while Andre is out, checks it out and says he will come back with a screwdriver.  15 minutes later he comes back with 2 screwdrivers, takes the thing apart and concludes it is a broken spring.  If we don’t close the blind the whole way, or open it the whole way it is fine.  I am satisfied with this, but not so sure the owners will be so Antonio asks me to email the owners to see if they want a better solution.  I told him he could just leave a screwdriver beside the window, works for me, not so sure about the next renters.  So we now know what Antonio looks like if we need anything else.

Andre has found another town nearby that has a Tapas Trail going on right now.  This one it is 1.85 Euro for drink and Tapas. So, now we need to figure out the bus to get us to Velez-Malaga, we’ll try to go one night next week.  Andre thinks there may be an issue though, he says he thinks it is only beer, I really don’t think that will be an issue, he can have 2 beer, and I’m pretty sure most places will have wine too for extra price. 

Another funny story about the “Little Italy” restaurant last night.  The couple sitting beside us were trying to get from the waiter whether wine on the menu was 5.00 Euro for a glass.  She ended up just ordering a glass, I’m sure they had the same surprise we did when we got the bill and it was .80 a glass.

Went for about a 45 minute walk at lunch, we wanted to see if the movies are posted yet for next week.  In the square by the Balcon there are 3 musicians set up with a Flamenco dancer, we saw one dance, not sure if she did more.  They were very good, and much cheaper than the 38 Euros they want for supper and show, today it was just a donation.  They have also replaced all of the old flower baskets at the Balcon, looks much better, I’m sure they will be beautiful in the summer when they are all in bloom.  We also saw one of those bikes that has the extension for a smaller bike on the back.  Spoke to the father and young girl around 10 that have started in Germany.  We asked where they were headed, he said they make no plans, they stop where there are fun playgrounds, or town that they like the vibe of.  What a life, but wouldn’t have been too fun today with all this wind.
Wendy want to get a pair of shoes like this.



New flowers in the pots




Back from lunch walk and find a request for a web demo has come through, so drop everything else I was planning to do this afternoon for a web demo.  Web demos come first, lead to sales hopefully.  Andre headed out for a photo op while I was working, the wind and surf are really up today. He took his new lens that he got before we left for Spain. So hopefully he got some good pictures.






This guy was to close and a large wave really got him. 

And a few flower pictures






Finished my web demo and a knock on the door, it is Andre, he forgot to take keys with him.  You can’t get into this building without a key, but someone was getting a new couch delivered so he got it.  Then he said he waited until he heard me get off the phone and knocked, don’t think he’ll forget keys again.

After work went by the internet place, they told me they would open from 5-7 to get my old sim card back, not open.  Went by the jewellery store and my earrings are back, they have definitely been cleaned, and the clasp has been fixed, happy about that, 25 Euro later. 

Decided to stop for Tapas before leftovers for supper, it is fun to see what they are watching on TV.  Many nights it has been a game show that we try to guess the Spanish answers, we don’t do too well.  There is one show that when the lose they fall though a trap door in the floor, similar to Ellen, wonder who had that idea first?  Well, tonight it was a Soap, the waiter did not seem too impressed but he was stuck with what the women chose to watch sounds like.

Tapas finished and we head back to the internet shop, yeah they are open.  Wasn’t too sure what I would be doing on Monday morning, now I know I can work.  The joys of working in a country when you are never too sure what is going to work, but it does seem to all work out in the end.

Supper is finished, now going to play some crib, and it is definitely my turn to win, I will not help Andre count tonight….

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.