Monday, March 7, 2011

Off to Cancun


Today I am travelling to Cancun where I will spend the night. Set my alarm for 5:30 and got up to try to send emails but it was not working great this morning. The internet is not great at the hotel we are staying at. I got picked by a golf cart taxi at 6:30.  The lady at the hotel told me that the water taxi to Chetumel was leaving at 7:30.  I had stopped by yesterday when I picked up my laundry to double check. They told me 7AM.  I get there very early to find out that there was a mechanical problems and it would arrive from Belize City at 7:45.  It is a pretty stop to wait for 1 hour since it is on the water. 













This water taxi takes us to San Pedro in about a half hour. We do the paperwork to leave the country and use the washroom since there are none on the boats.  The next water taxi is like a bus with 2 rows of 2 seats on each side.  The others ones so far on this trip have just have one long bench on each side of the boat.  It takes about an hour and a half to get to Chetumel. They even have an English movie playing with Spanish sub titles.  The boat is too loud to hear the English from the TV. 


We clear Mexican customs & immigration and go to the ADO bus station using a collectivo for $2 per person.  We have about 1 hour to kill as the next bus leaves at 12:30.  I go outside and find a small Mexican restaurant and have the daily special for $5.  Small breaded flatten piece of chicken breast with beans and rice.  Also included is flour tortillas and a coke.




Now on the bus which will be the same as on the way down.  Just drove by an outdoor restaurant that had a 20 feet long loaded with chicken pieces and a line of people buying.  It must be really good.  Another exciting thing is we went thru a rain storm.  That kept me amuse for 20 minutes. Other that the odd street vendors where the tope (speed bumps) are, there is not much to see.  We stopped in Playa Del Carmen for about 10 minutes.  The carnival is in town and it is much bigger that the one last year on Isla Mujeres.  Kinda wish I stayed here instead of Cancun. 


Found a hotel across from the bus station at a reasonable price. After he told me the price, I asked him if there was anywhere else to stay near here that was cheaper.  He took $15 off his original price. The room is nice with AC which I did not have for the last 2 weeks. 


For supper I walked around the street and found a little place.  The woman was grilling the food in the middle of the restaurant.  Order 2 quesadillas and a mango juice.  The quesadillas were so good I ordered a 3rd one for a grand total of less than $7.  On the way back to the hotel, I stopped at the OXXO (corner store) and pick up 2 beers for $2 for a nightcap.  Will sleep very good tonight as I did not last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.