Sunday, March 6, 2011

Laundry & Snorkeling


I go drop off my laundry around 8 so that I have something to wear next 2 week that does not stink.  It has been so hot here in the afternoon that once you were a set of clothes that are pretty much ready for the wash. The highs are around 32 degrees and the lows around 25 with lots of humility.  I stopped for breakfast as a small place on one of the back streets.  There was 2 local guys who were drinking beer at 8:30 in the morning.  The police drove by and they hid their beers.  Not legal to serve beer before 9AM here.  Wish I could repeat the whole breakfast conversation that I had with those two.  Let it just be said that it was very interesting.
















At 10:30 I went snorkeling at the reefs near where I am staying.  There were 3 snorkeling stops.  The first one was about a 5 minute boat ride after the captain (lack of better word) got the engine going with a pull cord.  No electric start on this baby.  The first stop was called shark alley.  It was similar to the one on the first snorkel trip but in only about 5 feet of water.  Lots more rays and less sharks.  It was lots of fun. 










Second stop was called the channel because that was it is, a channel going to the ocean thru the reef.  Very nice coral formation and I saw a green moray eel.  I think it had been fed before because it kept coming after us. I had to stop it coming at me with my fin a few times.  It must have been 5-6 feet long. 









The last stop was in a local reef.  The water was not too deep so you had to find your way along the passages ways around the coral.  Saw quite a few fish.  Overall it was a very good day of snorkeling.










I went to pick up my laundry.  It was still hanging on the clothes line. Why use a dryer when it is over 30 degrees and sunny with a warm breeze.  $8 for a full bag of stinky sweaty clothes that turned into fresh smelling clothes, I call that a fair deal. 


I stopped by a pizza place that had a slice of pizza and a beer for $4.  Great pizza and the beer was just as good.  Ice cold, I was tempted to redo the order but it was past 2 and I figures supper was going to be an early thing, so I stopped at 1.  I grabbed a large glass of fresh squeeze OJ for 1.50 US to have Rum & OJ at the hotel.  Better than Rum & Coke in taste and in health wise. 


Went to the split with my last rum & OJ to watch the sunset.  They had a DJ there so the music was not quite my style.  I prefer the reggae music instead of whatever the younger generation listen to nowadays. The family from Edmonton showed up and we stayed until the sun went down. They had gone to San Pedro which is the town on the next island.  It is much larger that where we are now.  They said it was fun to see but they prefer this place as San Pedro is much busier.






We went to supper at a small restaurant.  I had jerk chicken.  It was not as hot as the other night but hot enough that you could feel your lips burning when the sauce touch your lips.  Happy hour was on 2-4-1 rum drink.  So the dad and I shared 6 run & coke. My bill was $11 because I paid for 4 R&C and my chicken.  One last drink with the dad at the hotel and it is time for me to pack my stuff for a 6:30 AM pick up at the hotel to catch the ferry to Mexico. 


Hope I have internet tomorrow in Cancun.

Bye Caye Caulker, it has been lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.