Saturday, March 12, 2011

First Day at Sea

So this is day one of the cruise, and I already feel like I have way overeaten.  We decided to go to the dining room for breakfast this morning since most days we will be rushing to get off the ship and will need to do the buffet.  We say we will sit with others and we sit with a German family beside us, Joey gets rid of her exchange student for a couple of weeks and is already back with Germans!  It is just Joey, Andre Liam and I, I am not sure if we will see Kyle at all before noon this week, but he is also staying up way later than us I am sure.  One very interesting thing about this family is the son is blind.  He was probably in his early 20's, and says he loves cruising.  They tried it for the first time a few years ago, and they are already up to 11 cruises.  It was an experience eating with them, of course all utensils, coffee cups etc. had to be in the right spot, his mother gave him lots of instructions in German, but he was pretty much totally independent. When they were leaving the dining room he had a hand running along the wall and he felt a piece of sculpture which surprised him, amazing how much we take for granted. 


We spent the morning playing chess, mini putt, basketball, and just exploring the ship.  Then of course it was time to eat again.  It was Mexican food day, so I was very happy.  The afternoon was spent between napping, and reading I think. 



We also have had some excitement on the balcony of our room watching whales. 



Tonight is formal night, I am pretty sure we are the least dressed up family there, wow some people really go all out and look fantastic, us not so much.  Dinner was very good, Maine lobster instead of the usual rock lobster that we have had on cruises before. 
After dinner we went to the family comedy show.  This was quite funny, one guy did a countdown of the 5 things you will never hear on a cruise ship, don't remember then all but here are a couple

 1) Wow honey that drink of the day is really inexpensive (he told us the cruise line does not like it when he uses that one). 
2) I'm too full for ice cream. 
Next we go to the Jazz show, they were having technical problems so it started about 15 minutes late. Those of you that know me will be shocked to hear that I fell asleep before the show started and only woke up when André told me they were leaving.  I would not have been happy if they left me behind!  We didn't make it to the end of the show. I guess it wasn't the greatest We won't be rushing to another. 

That's pretty much it for day 1 at sea, another day tomorrow at sea before our first port day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.