Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chiro & Pizza



This morning, I woke up to a pretty sore back. Had a hard time getting out of bed and getting dressed.  Wendy went for her job/walk. I just putted along like an old crippled man doing baby steps.  I do not think I covered ¼ of the distance Wendy did.  I just turned around after 20 minutes and when I got back to the end of apartment driveway Wendy was back from her jog. 

After breakfast, I looked in the phone book for a chiropractor.  I had to do a Google translate to find out that I was looking for a “quiropráctico”.  I figured it might be a challenge trying to explain in Spanish what I had done and what my problem was and to make an appointment. None listed in the yellow pages of the phone book.  I search the internet and it turns out there is only 1 chiropractor listed in Javea.  I try using Skype to call but no answer.  Wendy says it is Easter week and he might be away.  I try a few more time with no luck but finally around noon someone answered.  Will they speak English or else I am in trouble.  Lucky for me they do and I make an appointment for 7:15. 
 
We go for our midday walk to the beach area.  Need to find a bank as the chiropractor only takes cash.  There is a bank one street off the beach, get some cash out which we needed anyway as we were getting low anyway.  I am feeling better now and can kinda walk at 2/3 my normal speed but it is still tender in my back.  I told Wendy that an ice cream would help my back so I stopped at one of the many ice cream stand/restaurants.  Maybe it is just mental but I think it helped my back.  

Spend the afternoon just hanging out at the apartment.  

After Wendy was done work we left to walk to my appointment. On our way there we saw a trade that probably does not exist in Canada.  Palm tree trimmer. 

This guy can't move to Canada for a job


His office was in the port area of town about 2 km away.  By this time my back is actually tolerable for pain.  We found the office and the still had about ½ hour so we poke around a few store in the area and looked at some restaurants that we might have super at tonight.
The chiropractor name was Mike Wilkerson.  His English was very good which was a big relief for me. He told me he worked in Seattle for a while when I told him I was from Canada. He only had Spanish medical form to fill out so it was fun for me and Wendy to try to figure out what medical problems I might have but most of them are understandable.  Hearth problems etc.., and I basically answered no to everything.   Anyway he did a good checkup and then cracked (adjusted) me in a few places.  It felt much better after.

Afterwards Wendy and I walked the waterfront restaurant row.  There are about 20 restaurants in a row side by side.  She had found 2 she liked.  We stopped at the first one which was an Italian one.  Most restaurants have a menu of the day which is 2 or 3 course meal and sometimes includes beer or wine.  We choose mussels and a plate of 4 Italians hams to start.  Wendy had lasagna and I had a 4 cheese pizza followed by ice cream and cream caramel for dessert.  A bottle of wine was included which was a basic local wine.  The bill came to 29 euros which is about $38 Canadian. .  The chef even came out to see how things were when we left. The whole meal was excellent and would have been more than double that in Canada.  

Guess which one was for Andre and which was for Wendy




The couple next to us was from St Andrews Scotland.  He said his membership which was 180 pounds about $280 Canadians. He said he was Captain of his club and he is now President. Because of this he could play the old course. He was also involved with golf governing bodies there.  He said he had pictures of him and Arnold Palmer having a beer together.  He also has one of him with Nicklaus, Trevino and Watson.  

My back is now feeling better, not sure if it is the chiropractor, the time, or the wine but my back is feeling better.  Good thing as it is now 10 pm and we still had to walk 2 km home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.