Saturday, September 14, 2019

Day2 village Castillo de los Polvazares



Up this morning early, a beautiful breakfast in the hotel.  The bike tour that I met yesterday in the chocolate factory is staying at this same small hotel, they are heading out at 8:30 to get started for the day.  I had a great sleep, hopefully I am all set for the week on the right time zone.  Checked in at front desk to see if there is somewhere I can go for a short walk as I pretty much covered all of the town yesterday for exploring.  There is a town called Castillo de los Polvazares about 6KM away, perfect, 12km is a nice warm up for the rest of the week.  I check it out on google maps, looks easy, so I am off.  I follow along the Camino trail, my first instruction to everyone saying Bon Camino.  It is so well marked, you just have to keep looking for different ways that the scallop shells are displayed, could be painted on the side of a building, the sidewalk, a sign etc, just keep your eyes open. 
Today I am following the signs, this one was easy to spot!

Road leaving town, I will not be carrying one of these huge packs!

I ended up coming across a nice couple from Perth Australia that I walked with for a bit.  At one point I said I am sure I have walked more than 6KM and I am looking for this town.  She pulled up her camino map on her phone, the trail doesn’t go through the town!!  We are leaving a trail at this point and crossing a road, I recognized the road number so I knew if I followed the road I would hit the town.  
Couple I walked with from Perth, lots of pilgrims out 

Scenery is pretty, I heard from others it is just starting to get pretty now, it wasn't as nice up to Astorga

Back I go along a not very well travelled path along the side of the road, wishing I had pants on at this point.  Finally got to the small town.  No cars in town unless you are a resident, it is a really cute little cobblestone town.  Walked back along the road until I came across the Camino again, now I am walking against the foot traffic which is kind of funny, everyone is going the opposite way than me. 
 

Walk back to Astorga and I came across a very pretty church with a storks nest
Back into Astorga and I check my phone and I have walked 19KM, oops, I was supposed to be on a short walk.  Luckily it was pretty flat, and it kept me from napping.  Back at the hotel and time to head out for lunch.  There is a group checking in, I think it is probably my group but I decide to walk by as they are busy getting organized and I am hungry again and there is a dinner tonight for everyone to meet so I will see them then.

Walk back to the same square as last night, it is a great people watching place.  But, I will not go back to the same bar.  Checking out menus and I see a woman waving at me that was on the same bus as me yesterday.  She is staying here 2 more nights, then continuing on with her walk.  Last year she made it this far before she left injured, so she is back this year to finish it up.  It is interesting the people you meet, I wonder how she made out this year, hopefully she finished as she was really upset when she couldn’t finish last year.  It was fun having lunch with her.

Back to my hotel, grab my book and head down to the garden to read.  I don’t want to walk much more today, I know what is coming up the next few days.

The leaders of my group come over and introduce themselves, they are really our van drivers, they do not walk with us.  There is a meet and greet tonight at 8PM.  In total we are 13 people, 3 from USA, I’m the only Canadian, rest are UK and Australia.  There are 3 Dr’s, 2 lawyers, and 1 pharmacist, a guy that made it on oil prospecting, spouses and me!  I am going to try to make friends with the anesthesiologist, he will have the best drugs I think if needed during the week.  So looking forward to hitting the road tomorrow.





























No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.