Sunday, September 15, 2019

Day 3 First Day of Camino



Find out that our schedule for the week will be breakfast at 8AM, then briefing for the day and departure at 9AM.  I cannot believe how much luggage people have, they must be doing extended holidays not just this walk.  I have a small carry on suitcase and a tiny backpack, that is it.  Most were very well dressed last night, I was not.

Find out that we are starting this morning by driving to the small cobblestone village that I walked to yesterday!  Not too exciting for me, but it is still pretty.  Lots of rain in the forecast, so our plans may change as the day goes along.  We have a 45 minute drive before we start our actual walk.  We are over 300 km from the end of our walk, but will only be walking 110 km.  This tour is set up so we drive through the boring bits, like the cities and lots of walking on sidewalks, then walk the nicer spots.  
Back to the town I visited yesterday!

Our first real walk this morning is only about .5 hour to the iron cross.  At this point the drivers are watching for us to see how we are doing.  I think they assessed at this point if the weather would hold up, and how we are holding up walking.  I am probably about the middle of the pack.  There are a couple of runners that are super fast walkers that are way ahead of the pack, and a couple of stragglers that are loving just spending time together and enjoying the Camino.  It is definitely not a race, you can do it as quickly or slowly as you want.  If you don’t want to climb the hills the vans will drive you when you cross a road.  I did the full 24 km today, a bit hilly but I was expecting a bit worse.  I am using one pole, which they group provided,  I really like it on the downhills.  We had no rain at all so we were able to do the full itinerary.  I am just wearing sneakers, my toes are a bit sore from all the downhill,  but nothing that will stop me from tomorrow.  
Beautiful scenery as we begin our walk this morning
4 from our group, did not take long for the runners on the right to leave us behind
Lots of pilgrims getting pictures taken at the iron cross

Our lunch stop today was huge, soup, Spanish omelet, and lemon custard, with all the wine you could drink.  About 2.5 hours of walking again after lunch until we get to our hotel.  I am walking a lot with Daniella today, she is a 72 year old pediatrician from London.  She and another woman who is a GP are doing this tour together, but they don’t walk together.  They just celebrated their 50th graduation anniversary and got back in touch and have started travelling together, neither of their husbands like travelling.  They are so interesting to talk to, pioneer women going into medicine over 50 years ago!

Views are amazing this afternoon, loved walking along pretty much solo




Bought my scallop shell from this place along the Camino.  He has coffee and snacks, as well as a few souvenirs

Same spot, he thinks he is the last templare




So many different paths today to walk on, love going through the woods




We can see the town in the distance, but we have a long downhill to go to get there

It is very dusty and dirty along the path 







A much needed shower at the hotel. It is more like a big box hotel, but the most amazing showers.  It had these nozzles all over the place, was even able to massage my feet by turning one of the nozzles on, I will dream of this shower.
I walk back into town, our hotel is at one very end of town, tonight we are in Molanascas.  Very few people out, it is early.  Tonight supper is on our own, but after our huge lunch don’t need much.  I find an ice cream, then have a beer at a little bar sitting outside.  I hate beer, but something about walking all day in the extreme heat and beer is good, and at 1.40 Euro can’t be beat!
Back to the hotel and run into one of the women from our tour heading to the lobby for a gin and tonic, I invited myself along.  By the end 5 of us ended up having multiple Gin and Tonics, and the bartender kept bringing us snacks, so no supper needed.  Perhaps the best garlic bread ever, but maybe it was the Gin and Tonics.  It was me and the 2 Dr’s that are friends from London, and the 2 sisters from Australia, a great evening.  It was only 9:20 by the time I went up to my room, I know I will sleep well tonight, and looking forward to another big walking day tomorrow.






Love old pedestrian streets, I came back into town for a beer after cleaning up

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.