Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Centenario park/zoo


Today I plan to visit the Centenario park/zoo which is about 2.5 km from where we are staying. I left around 9AM as I was not sure what hours it would be open. Did not want to get there too early and have to wait too long.

I first walked up the Plaza Grande and then headed toward the park.



Like the colors



70 cents Canadian per kilo of laundry, minimum 4 kilos.

I had written down on a piece of paper where I wanted to go as I was hoping to catch one of the local buses. I asked someone and they said 2 more block on the street I was on. Another helpful person told me what bus to get on. The cost was 8 Pesos or around 50 cents and it saved me many steps which I will not need today.
Bus ride this morning

I knew what street to get off. Here the street are all numbered in sequences of 2. The streets running north South are even numbers and the ones going East West are odd numbers. Once you know the system it is fairly easy to find a location. The only caution is when you get in the suburbs the numbers can start again but we have not been there yet as the Centro part of town is fairly big.

The bus stops in front of a large Super Aki grocery store. I go in looking for some tequila to buy to take home. Nothing that I can not find at the one near our place. Missed a good sale a few days ago and hoping that there will be one again this week but I think I will need to pay full price as that was the only time I saw a sale.

Walk 1/2 block to the park and a few school children were waiting outside the entrance to go in. The school kids here all have uniforms. The park is open at this time, I guess they are just getting their marching orders.


Today's bug is a black beetle

A technical school




I headed in to park, it is not too large, around 200 by 500 meters. The park is at one end and the zoo at the other end. I found a map of it at the entrance. I knew there was a small train that circled the park so I head towards it. The cost is 1 peso or 7 cents. Did not buy a ticket as I see a line up to get on the train. There must have been 300 kids waiting to get on it. I think I will skip and go straight to the zoo.



Start of lineup for the train

The train line up is way to long for me

The zoo is free. Typical zoo but all the animals are from hot temperature countries, no moose or polar bears here. The typical animals are here, cats, monkeys, birds, snakes and safari animals. I do the circuit and take a few pictures.

got a lot closer to the flamingos here than the last 2 times, also a lot cheaper but not as much fun.

Not sure if he was an escapee but he was next to the walking path

I feel mostly sorry for the cats as the space is too small for them.


Not doing much, just hanging around and you?

One for Liam






There is a water fountains park that the kids are having a ball. I take a few pictures but feel strange taking them as I am the only gringo here and I am about 6 inches taller than the rest of the other adults here. In addition I also have my Panama hot on which makes me look a few inches taller. 










Near the fountains there is about 10 little shops that sell food and they look very clean. I decide to try 3 little snacks. 1 kibi, 1 empanada and 1 gordita. Ordered a bottle of water but they only had 1.5 liter bottle left over. The bill came to $4.




I then walked the rest of the park area. This is more with rides and some places to relax.





Washrooms. The other ones were normal.


I was thinking there was a cemetery nearby. Ask someone and they said near the train. Walk there and leave the park and cross the street where I see 5 workers having a break. I ask them as they say far about 15 blocks so I decide to head home as it is already 11:30 and getting hot. It will be for another day, I hope.

One of the many buses waiting for the kids
 This place is abandoned. It was huge, must have been some type of banquet or concert place at one time.

Top of the wall to stop people coming in.

For sale, 5000 square feet, needs TLC


Find where and which bus to catch the bus to return to the center of town. A person gets on the bus with a rubber chicken and his face painted as a clown. He tells a story in Spanish that I don't understand then tried to collect a few pesos from the people on the bus and gets off the bus. Must be his job.




From where I get dropped off I make my way home but stopped and visited one of the university buildings. Not much to see but a beautiful courtyard. Saw a poster for a free concert tomorrow night.

Will try with Wendy one afternoon but time is running out

Converted green bug

Speaker blasting, promoting a political candidate for July election


a couple of blocks away from our house




Just snacked on nachos chips with guac and salsa. Afternoon spent by the poolside reading, drinks and dips in the pool when we got too hot from the heat. It is a good thing we have the pool otherwise we would spend the afternoons in the house with fans on. The house is always 5 degrees or so cooler in the daytime. The open courtyards keeps the place fresher.

Tonight we are going to the supper and movie thing that we went to last Wednesday. I ordered penne carbonara and Wendy ordered lasagne again. She said last weeks was better but I think it was still very good, just a bit drier and not as hot. We shared a bottled of Pino Grigio and a salade. 2 choice of dessert Tiramisu or Panna Cotta. I ordered Tiramisu but out, so I got with the Panna Cotta. Silky and a tasty blackberry sauce I think, can't really see the color of the sauce as the lights are off so that we can watch the movie. The movie was called "The Disaster Artist" based on what is known as the worst movie every made “The Room”. It was interesting. The cost for the supper was $55 including tip. A fun evening, wish we were staying longer as we would return, I am sure.


1 comment:

  1. Loved the pictures of the kids splashing in the water park.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.