Thursday, April 26, 2018

Casa Monte Molini & Concert

Thursday April 26th.

After breakfast I headed out to visit a museum. I took calle, street, 58 which runs parallel to the one we are staying on, calle 56. The Paseo Montego, which is the fancy boulevard is actually between the 2 street starting 3 blocks from out house.

A few pictures architecture and some of doors and windows as I walk along.

The house on the street next to us is abandoned. It is also a huge place. 





Fresh paint

Have not seen many of these in Merida, Motorcycle taxis.



My first stop along the way was Santa Anna Square with a small church and a small market, 2 meat vendor, 3 fruit vendor and a row of food stalls. Some of the food looked good but too early still for lunch. One shop had bugs that they glue custom diamond on them. An Australian couple was there and was curious about them but they did not speak Spanish. I asked the clerk how much they were. 150 pesos each. I almost bought one for Wendy but I could not understand the instructions on how to take care of it. I understood they live for 5 years. They wear them on their shirts from what I understand.



My next stop was Palacio Canton to see if I can get some good picture of it.

Canton Mansion

Love the details



Next is what I thought was 2 abandoned mansions but someone is living in them, just not maintaining the outside as they should be. The architecture on these 2 building is amazing. I only have my small lens with me so no close up of the details on the houses.



Not a duplicate picture, entrance on the second house

A couple more pictures as I walk along to my next stop.


Green Beetle today

This mansion is now a bank



Next stop is the museum called Casa Monte Molina. It was built in 1902 by a Cuban man but then he moved out of the area sold it to a banker who was involved in the henequen trade. Dealing with the buyers and sellers. One of his descendants still owns it and the house id fully furnished with early 1900 pieces that the family used back then. The banker made it clear that the house was not to be sold when he died. One daughter who never married got the house. After her death, one of her nieces got it. They built a covered banquet area that is used often for wedding etc... which raises money to keep the house in good shape. The entrance fee was 80 pesos and there was about 10 of us on our tour. It was a English/Spanish tour with me the only English person. Well worth the $6 or so it cost.






The mansion was built in the French style with the living space on the main floor and the basement for the servants. When it was the busiest, they had 14 people working at the house.

I am sure the wine cellar was full in the early 1900s

Servants quarters
One interesting thing was even the rich people sleep in hammock as well as it was much cooler than a bed.  In the upstairs owners bedrooms, you can see the hocks for the hammocks. I guess the beds were used for something else.

Washing Basins

For hot water


Went to Walmart to see if there was any Tequila on special but nothing much. Will just get it at the store down the street, I guess.

Back home around 12:30, have a few nachos chips for lunch and go outside to spend the afternoon by the pool. After about 45 minutes of so, the sky turns grey and thunder is not far behind. It poured heavily for about 90 minutes. I had to squeegee the floor a few times and worked on this morning blog. My friend Jacky that worked we at the Windjammer in 1989 contacted us on Facebook and will join us for the concert tonight. We will meet at a restaurant before the concert.

The floor is flooded


At 5PM, we watch the Moncton Magic basketball game on YouTube. Watched until 6PM. We then walked over to the restaurant to meet Jacky & Mario. The restaurant is located in a hotel called La Piedra de aqua on Calle 60 which is 2 block from where we are staying. As we were meeting at 6:15 and we were early, we visited a couple of hotel lobbies. Beautiful courtyards in both of them.

In a small park

Hotel courtyard


We shared a platter of cheese and cured meats and then ordered 2 pizzas for the 4 of us made in their outdoor Pizza oven. Plenty of food and the pizzas were very good. We split the bill and it was about $40 and that included a very generous tip which the waiter deserved, the service was very good. We sat in the courtyard. It was a beautiful spot and would be somewhere where we would probably go again if we were here for much longer.


Making our pizzas


We headed down the block to go see the free concert that a group of university students were giving. There was 4 pianist that took turns playing pieces written by Beethoven. To finish one girl played the violin and was accompanied with one of the boys that had played the piano earlier. They were all excellent. We were only 5 rows from the stage. It was amazing to see how quick their fingers move.






We said goodbyes to Jacky and Mario, not knowing if I will see him again as they are permanent resident of Merida, so unless Wendy and I come back to Merida, this may be the last time I see him. Having said that, Merida is probably somewhere we will come back in the future once we retire and who knows, maybe next year for a short stay after or before Puerto Morelos. Meant to take a picture of Jacky and Mario but I forgot, now I will have to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.