Thursday, February 23, 2017

Hunt for Churches

The usual walk on the wall this morning. It's a good way to start the day. We made boiled eggs and toast this morning, a break from corn flakes and oatmeal.

Did a bit or research on where I may go next week on a day trip.

Around 10:30, I went out on the bike to see how many churches I could find. Started out going around our section of town until 12:30. Good thing I was on my bike because the majority of the streets are not square to each other, so lots of back tracking to make sure all the streets were covered. The good thing about this is that it makes you look at everything. I saw many stores that I had not seen before.  There are quite a few that are not longer in business and are closed. Hard to tell if some of the buildings were churches or not at one time. One of them I ask someone and they said yes but often there no one around to ask of they don't speak English.

Must have been nice at one time

Small church attached to one of the Palazzo

Might have been a church at some point

Looks like it could be a church as it si abandon. Otherwise someone would have built something (my guess)

mmmmm, 50/50 on this one

I also stopped at the bus station to get some info on going to one of the places I want to go. May work out to be the best option as compared to the train. The good thing about the bus station, it is only about 2-3 minutes for the apartment as compared to a good 15-20 minutes walk to the train station.

For lunch Wendy made a salad and topped it off with the leftover chili from last night. We went for a walk but it started to rain a bit, so it was short. Found a back street that joins the walking street we normally walk on.

Went out again around 2:30 until about 4:30 to find some more churches. Some were open as it was mid afternoon, so I did a few quick visits in 3 of them. Found a few more. I am going to make a blog page for them when I am all done and have the time. The parish lists 41 churches on their Italian website but I am not sure if those are all in town and if they are still all open. Not much light in these churches but thanks to the magic of Adobe Lightroom software to adjust them, I manage to finish with semi ok pictures.  Will probably revisit them at some point later in time, possibly a rainy day.







One interesting thing I saw this afternoon a section under the wall where there a some tunnel section that you can explore a bit.

Transformer art piece under one arch of arches under the wall




The town at this location is higher than the outside of the wall, so you go down.  I had to walk the bike as it was wet from water dripping.





Here are a few other things I saw today on my biking adventure.

This bike was park at the bus station. By the look of the chain, it has been here for a while

Postperson on wheels


This tree was starting to bloom, will revisit next week


Fiat 500L, Robin help.


Wine store I visited yesterday

Someone on our street has a silver Mercedes bike and that the only lock he has!

One of the nicest door I have seen in town

Not this one

The was a high school event going on at this place that is not usually open, so I walked in

Cheap pizza place on one of the back streets.

Bike for 2 or bike for 4 for rent


This poor bike will need a washing before being used again.  Too much bird dropping

Same bike as mine but I prefer blue over pink.
This car reminds me of our fridge at home with all the magnets we have on it.  Still not decided how many we will bring back from this trip, Lucca, Bologna, Cinque Terre, Florence, Naples, Venice, Chianti region,Rome or possibly one that will cover all these areas or most of them

Canal in town with reflections


At 5, Wendy wanted to go for a walk as her lunch time walk was only about 20 minutes. We walked the wall to the far end of town and walked back thru town on street Wendy had not seen much before.

If we are back in town before 6PM on Sunday, will need to come here

Supper, we cooked pepper beef, at least that what I think it was. Can not read the labels here so it is all guess as to what meat we are eating. Ended up being good, so no complaints.

A quick walk after supper around town but it was very quiet as it was 8:30 when we left. Almost had cannoli for dessert in one of the pastry shop but skipped on it. Will need to have some at some point during the trip. Wendy is happy because she got 18,000 steps today. I did also plus 2 good bike rides. Calling for rain tomorrow, so I know we will not get that much,

A few games of cribs. Wendy won the first game and me the second. She suggested we play the rubber and call it a night. I don't think she was happy that she suggested that. Got a few good hand near the end and she only got about 4 points in her last hand and ended up 2 points short of the skunk line. Looks like my luck may have finally turned around since I had won 2 to 1 last night, Wendy tell me so, I don't keep track of those thing. :-)

I checked the weather and saw it was 8 degrees at home. Almost the same temperature as here give or take 5 degrees as we are going to bed. Goodnight all.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures André. It was actually 11 degrees this afternoon. Took my jacket off during my walk. Maybe a little freezing rain tonight...

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.