Thursday, April 21, 2011

Family Visit

This morning started off a little rough for me, I had a very bad night last night, not sure if I ate something bad, or simply picked up a bug, either way it was not fun. Thank goodness this did not hit me when we were back sleeping in tents! I did manage to get myself going for the morning excursion which was a skiff ride back down the same little river that we did the night ride down last night.




Today were treated to the pink dolphins again showing up for a little show. We saw a new kind of monkey as well, the monk saki monkey, Andre spotted them in the trees but they were really hard to see.

We also saw our first blue morph butterflies, these were spectacular, if only they didn't fly so quickly, it would have been great if they would have stopped for their picture. On our way back to the boat some toucans showed up, we followed them for a while and more toucans arrived, this was fantastic.

Getting out at 6:30 in the morning is my favourite, the water is so nice and calm, beautiful reflections from the jungle on the water, and the birds are just getting up. We were a little late getting back to the main boat for breakfast, I went straight to bed because I wanted to get to all of the excursions today and I knew I didn't have much strength, and I certainly didn't feel like eating.


















The next excursion started at 9:30 and it involved jumping off the boat into a black water river. This was a little on the creepy side, you couldn't see very well because the water is so black from the decaying leaves, but fantastic for us as the dolphins showed up for us to swim with.

They never got to close to us, but they were definitely teasing us and kept popping up for air all around us. About 10 of us went swimming, I am so glad I did it, and I am so glad we all made it back safely without any incidents!













Lunch time and I managed some toast and sprite, and then we were off on another excursion at 3:30. One of our guides was taking us into his village to see the real Amazon River people way of life. What a treat this was. I couldn't make it the whole excursion, it was just too hot, but I did manage to stay for nearly an hour. We got to meet his Mother, and a couple of siblings, and visit his sister’s house. Really amazing how they live, the house is up on stilts because of the water. The house was made of 3 “rooms”. One room was where they did the cooking over an open fire, Alan our guide lifted up one of the pots to show us what was inside and the pot was all cracked and leaking. There were 2 other pots on the fire as well. They were also cooking sardines over the fire in some type of husk, and they were getting ready to cook a catfish, it was still alive in a bucket beside the fire. We were also offered some homemade liquor stuff, this is made by the women chewing on something then spitting it in a pot and then let it ferment, yuck I don't think anyone tried that. The bedroom as a mat on the floor covered by mosquito netting. There were at least 6 people living in this tiny house, and from what I can tell this would be a very well to do family in this village. I saw 2 plastic toys, and one little book for writing that was completely written in. The kids had a parrot and a parakeet, Alan said this is very normal for kids to have birds for pets.

There were loads of kids running around, I think there are about 40 in the village, and most of them looked around 5 years old. They were playing with a volleyball, having lots of fun.

The men were also in the process of making a dugout canoe, it takes about 5 days from when they start. The canoe was nearly finished being dug out, it needed to be over the fire next to stretch it out.

We also visited their garden, which was basically their front yard. They had a grapefruit tree, banana trees, papaya tree, and some type of potato thing. Lots of hens and chickens running around, no fencing.

After the tour of this house I needed to go back to the main ship, I went back with one other man that was not well and Andre stayed on for the rest of the tour.

























The children all sang a song for the visitors, and they had a little handicraft tables set up. We were told not to feel guilty if we didn't buy anything that there are some type of distributors that come along the river and buy up everything. This was a very unique experience, so happy we were able to see a little of the way they live.









Back on board and we all get together with the guides to review a checklist of the different birds and animals we have seen so far. We have seen 90 different birds so far, and the list has double that, so we still have lots to find hopefully. They had a band again before supper, I passed on supper with the other passengers and had toast and some white rice up on the top deck, quite a treat with a lovely sunset again over the water.


It is now 9PM, time for bed as we have a very full day tomorrow, a 5 hour skiff ride with breakfast and lunch on board. I sure hope I feel better because this should be fantastic!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, my favorite travel bloggers are back! Enjoy following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.