Monday, March 13, 2017

Free Concert

We went for our usual walk on the wall this morning. I did not not take my camera with me as I think I was tired of carrying my camera with me for the last 3 days. Also was going for groceries when we got to near the end of our walk. A quick grocery run to get a few essentials (salad stuff, bread & wine, ...). It is a 15 minute walk from the grocery store to the apartment. Long enough when you have the bags with you.

Hung around the apartment for the morning. Felt good after a very busy weekend. Made a salad for lunch and we then headed out for a walk into town. Wendy wanted to go see the magnolia trees before they are all finished blooming. We then walked some of the streets into town. There were a group of people at St Michelle square with balloons and also at the amphitheatre, something must have been going on but not sure. We also checked out a restaurant where we want ot go have supper one night this week.










We may go on Friday for our last meal in Lucca.  They only open at 7:30PM.  At home things are starting to slow down at that time.

Back at the apartment for a short rest and then I am off on 2 things on my honey-do-list. Return the stamps that we had bought for 2.5 Euro each (I had seen on the internet that it was less than 1 Euro) and these were special stamps with GPS tracking and you could attached a video. Nope, we just want plain stamps. Number 2 was to find a Venice Guide Book. Walked to the amphitheatre and asked the lady to return my stamps. No problem. I was surprised and I was expecting to have to argue to return them. Walked to the post office which is on the other side of town and pulled a number to get served. I think you can do many things here as there were 3 categories. It took about 20 minutes to get my turn and about 5 minutes to actually buy 4 stamps. The man then gives me the bill and it is 8,8 Euro. Not much of a saving, I would have not bothered to exchange them if I knew it was going to the this much. Must have been an old article I had found about the prices. Oh well.


I only want 4 stamps.

Next stop was to find the Venice guide book. I knew about where the book store was so I walked around for a while . I finally gave up and went into a gelato place and asked. I felt guilty about taking their time so I bought one. It was only about 5 minutes from there. No English Venice but there a French one. I don't think Wendy would like, so no.

Along the way as I was all over town I took pictures of bicycles of many colours. Some are used for advertising as well. There are tons of them around town. I am sure if I lived here this would be my main mode of transportation as there is no parking in the center of town. Just near the wall.

Postperson


Double parked


No need to lock this one

Biking and talking on the phone is common. We have seen some with umbrella and talking at the same time when it was raining.



Love the shadows

Menu holder

For a restaurant

When I was almost home I heard some music coming from inside a church. A man at the door told me in Italian that there was a concert at 5PM. I took a picture of the note on the door so I could translate later.
Maybe we will go on Friday




I check on google translate and Vernidi means Friday. Wendy is now done work. I want to show Wendy where the church is in case we want to come on Friday. This is a very pretty church as I was in last week. We get there around 5:20 and we are told there a concert. We go in and it's free. A group of students from South Carolina are here visiting and are going to play. First students for a Lucca music school perform 4 modern songs from the US as they do both modern & Classical. Unfortunately the drummer is twice as loud as the 9 singers and the rest of the instruments. The South Carolina bank then plays 3 classical pieces which is nice as there are no drums involved.  I am pretty sure we were the only people at the concert that weren't parents of the children.

Beautiful church




We then walk to the shopping street to see if we can find a Venice book. No luck, We found an Italy one but it is about 1 inch thick. Back at the apartment we have noodles with a sauce that we bought when we did our food tour. Full of flavours. We enjoyed a nice bottle of Chianti with it. Played 3 games of crib which Wendy came out ahead 2 to 1. I think she FORGOT to say that I won both games last night.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments/questions you would have or any stories about the places we visited.